Tuesday, August 26, 2008

60 Years of Independence: What makes us proud to be Indian

60 Years of Independence: What makes us proud to be an Indian?First of all, Happy and Prosperous Independence Day. Before I continue the article I sincerely apologize if I offend anyone’s feelings. These are my personal opinions.Let’s see, what makes us proud to be Indian. Past 60 years have been a great run for the biggest democratic country in the world. It took only 50 years for us to be a nuclear nation challenging “superior” powers. We definitely made advances in fields of Information Technology, Education, Women empowerment, medicine etc., We succeeded in many areas and there are definitely lot more things for us to achieve. At this moment of pride, I would like to salute each and every freedom fighter who fought independence. The nation definitely has greatest freedom fighters (other than Gandhi’s and Nehru’s) whom we have forgotten to remember at this moment. I would like to mention four freedom fighters whom I like because of their character and sacrifices.
1. Bala Gangadhar Tilak
2. Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose
3. Swami Vivekananda
4. Sardar Vallabhai PatelBala

Ganngahdar Tilak: Most of us know July 4th as American Independence Day, but how many of us know it as the birthday of our greatest inspirational leader Bala Gangadhar Tilak. He was also one of the pioneers to start Ganesh Chaturdhi as “sarvajanik” festival to unite the nation on one front. This makes him my most adored freedom fighter
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose: The only words that resonate in my ears when I listen to the name Netaji are “Mujhe khoon dho...Main Azadi doonga”. He was the one who made popular “Jai Hind”

Swami Vivekananda: Although he was not active freedom fighter, he and his teachings were inspirational to many freedom fighters. Had it been not to Swami Vivekananda not many nations around the world would have known that there is a religion called “Hinduism”.

Sardar Vallabhai Patel: Had it been not the guts and strategy of Patel, India would have had many more “Kashmir’s’. I salute this brave soldier of BharatMatha who was responsible for integrating our country.
I would like my fellow Indians to add the names of the freedom fighters so that we pay our honors to these legends on this day for their sacrifices.
I would also like to suggest that there is still a lot to achieve for us in eradicating poverty, improving our infrastructure, providing minimum education etc., We have to hunt down the perpetrators of our sovereignty no matter in which country they hide. Whatever might be the face of mayhem (Bombay blasts, parliament attacks, 7/11 blasts, Masjid blasts) let us all unite to bring those involved to justice. Again, with outmost respect to my country, I wish all my fellow Indians ‘happy independence day’
JAI HIND.
Suresh Matta

No comments: